Wednesday 11 November 2015

The Word: A Light That Shineth in a Dark Place

We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts
2 Peter 1:19 (KJV)

If I could paint a picture of this verse, I would draw a woman reading the bible with her hand on her heart, with a tear rolling from her face, and the open bible would just be glowing with a powerful shining light.  That is the mental picture that came to mind when I first read this verse. I tried to draw it but I’m just not talented in that area at all!!

I love what this scripture says, the writer is advising us to pay attention to the Word of God and allow it to shine in the darkness. The word provides light, understanding and revelation to our lives. First, to be able to obtain Salvation and secondly to show us how to live our lives according to God’s will.
  
The word is like a mirror that allows us to see all of our faults on the inside which need fixing!  It shines a  light in all the dark parts of our heart and it convicts us to change. There have been many times that I have read the word of God or heard a sermon and had an immediate stirring in my soul causing me to reflect on certain areas of my life. This path is all about growth, every day, we are not perfect but we are striving daily to grow as we read the word, as we pray, as we get closer to Him, we notice things in us that need changing. It is possible to change, it is possible to grow, His word is powerful enough to do that in us! As we get closer to Him, His light shines in all the dark places in our life and shows us where we went wrong, and how we can fix it.  The word always provides a way, it guides us and gives us the tools we need to grow in Christ. God thought of everything! His love and mercy are shown throughout all of His word. I’m thankful for a God that cares about my spiritual health, because He wants me to make it to heaven one day, He wants me to meet Him one day! If that light didn't shine on certain areas of my life, who knows where it would lead me, maybe broken and away from Him,  if I didn't allow Him to work on me like a pot in the potters hands!

Sometimes It’s hard to admit our faults, our sin, our weaknesses but I’m thankful that word still causes an affect in me and sheds a light on things in me that I would rather keep in the dark but are best for my sake, that I deal with it!  If the word didn’t cause anything in me it would mean that I have drawn so far away from Him that He can no longer speak to me. I don’t want that ever!  I want my heart  to be a good ground where His word can bear fruit. “But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty. Matthew 13:23”   

I’m thankful for God’s word and the many things it does to my soul! In it I have found hope, refuge, comfort, mercy and overall love! Beautiful, merciful and faithful Love!  You can find this and more if you also allow your heart to be a good ground where His word can bear fruit!

No comments:

Post a Comment